[SciPy-user] sparse matrices -- slicing and fancy indexing for assignment

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 12:01:06 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Christopher MacMinn <cmac at mit.edu> wrote:

> Is slicing / fancy indexing for assignment planned for the final 0.7.0
> release, or is this (above) the best we're going to get?

This is probably all you'll see in 0.7.0

Note that assigning to a CSR/CSC matrix is in general a bad idea.  Any
change to the sparsity structure of these formats requires O(nnz)
operations, which basically means reconstructing the matrix from
scratch.

OTOH MATLAB lets you do it, so we will probably support it someday
too.  If you submit a patch soon we might be able to integrate it by
0.7.0.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/