[SciPy-user] scipy workflow

massimo sandal massimo.sandal at unibo.it
Mon Sep 29 12:07:12 EDT 2008

João Quinta da Fonseca wrote:
> I have given up Matlab and I it feels great to use scipy for my
> scientific computing needs. However, I find that I use scipy just like
> I used matlab, with ipython as my terminal. Although this works OK,
> some things are a little frustrating: updated modules need to be
> reimported after modification, running scripts requires the run
> command etc., but this is to be expected because scipy is not matlbab.
> Now I don't want the matlab way necessarily and I am happy to learn a
> new way to do things. I guess what I would like to do is do things the
> python way, which I think means writing my code as classes with the
> _main_ bit at the end etc., but I am not sure whether that is the best
> way and if so, what is the best way to learn it.
> Does any one feel like sharing what their workflow with scipy is? Any
> tips for me?

Apart from the data analysis software where I use scipy as a library, I
practically only write scripts, without interactive use.

I feel there is more control this way. I don't see much purpose in
interactive use.

However, you can also write procedural scripts (without classes etc.) in
Python... no need to delve into OO programming if you don't need to
(although I like OO personally).

m.

--
Massimo Sandal , Ph.D.