[SciPy-user] vstack / hstack question n dim array without value

Unknown pitfall66 at freenet.de
Tue Sep 23 08:22:48 EDT 2008

Hello I am programming this for the Machine Learning Course. I am
studying  Computer Science.

My Question is can I somehow get rid of the "indices_buffer". Means is
there a easy way to initialize n dim arrays without values ?
I also came up with filling the array with a colum of zeros and deleting
this colum later, but not so elegant in my opinion either.

specifically this code:

indices_buffer=[]

if (indices_buffer==[]):
	indices_buffer=tmp
else:
	indices_buffer=hstack((indices_buffer,tmp))

data
0.3 0.4 0.4
0.2 0.1 0.3
0.3 0.2 0.4

cls
1
1
2

def splitcrossval(data,nFold,cls):

	indices_buffer=[]
	(rows,columns)=data.shape

	classes=unique(cls)

	for i in classes:

		indices=where(cls==i)[0]

		tmp=hsplit((permutation(indices)),nFold)

		if (indices_buffer==[]):
			indices_buffer=tmp
		else:
			indices_buffer=hstack((indices_buffer,tmp))

	return 	indices_buffer