[SciPy-user] Width of the gaussian in stats.kde.gaussian_kde ?

torii at gmx.com torii at gmx.com
Thu Sep 18 14:00:33 EDT 2008

Dear scipy users,

I used the kernel-density estimate to make some 2D density plots
(stats.​kde.​gaussian_kde) and I was very happy with the result.

But when I do the same exercise over a much larger area, I completely lost
the details I had with my previous analysis... If I understand correctly,
this is related to the adaptation of the elementary gaussian to the scale
of my dataset which now includes large areas with almost no data.

Question: is there a way to control the width of the gaussian in
stats.kde.gaussian_kde? or should I switch to another technique?

Note: I am both a newbie in python and stats...

Anthony