[SciPy-user] why does linalg.sqrtm return an array?

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Thu Oct 9 14:26:50 EDT 2008

Hello,

I was just bitten by the fact that sqrtm returns an array, not a
matrix.  Every time I tried to test it with Q*Q, or Q.T*Q I got very
strange results (I was just about to post that it was seriously
broken).  Then I found out that it returns an array!  Why is that?
It would seem that if you are doing a matrix square root, you are
working with matrices mostly in that calculation, so a matrix is the
consistent thing to return (and perhaps the least surprising thing to
return).  Is there a reason for this?

		thanks,

			Brian Blais

--