[SciPy-user] undefined symbols when trying to import packages with linalg

Barry Olddog oldcanine at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 07:56:04 EDT 2008

I've been struggling with building scipy into python2.5 for a couple
days on a new Centos 5.2, 64-bit machine. I finally got everything
built. At first I installed the blas and lapack packages, and then
numpy, which seems ok, and finally scipy.

The first problem
was getting scipy to find the blas and lapack libraries, and then
various build errors. I removed the packages, and built Atlas myself
with lapack. Now scipy builds, and importing just scipy alone is ok,
but it balks at importing some of the packages, including stats,
linalg, optimize. Here's the complete import error:

>>> import scipy.stats
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/stats/__init__.py", line 7,
in <module>
    from stats import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/stats/stats.py", line 192,
in <module>
    import scipy.linalg as linalg
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/__init__.py", line 8
, in <module>
    from basic import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/basic.py", line 17,
in <module>
    from lapack import get_lapack_funcs
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/lapack.py", line 17,
in <module>
    from scipy.linalg import flapack
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/flapack.so: und
efined symbol: _gfortran_st_write_done

had thought that I was using g77 consistently. Earlier, I was able to
find references to conflicts betwen g77 and gfortran, which is why I
built my own atlas, etc. So the _gfortran_st_write_done error seems odd.

Any
suggestions?
I just did this on a similar machine without any problem whatsoever.
I'm not sure but  I maybe installed the atlas rpm on the earlier one.
Could that
have been what did it?

Thanks