[SciPy-user] suggest to change PREREQUISITES of scipy clearly

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 03:59:23 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:53 PM, oyster <lepto.python at gmail.com> wrote:
> for example
> in scipy version = '0.5.1', the 'PREREQUISITES' section of INSTALL.txt
> says 'NumPy__ 1.0b1 or newer', but when I install numpy
> version='1.0.4', and run scipy, I get
> [code]
> h:\sap-24\bin\lib\site-packages\scipy\misc\__init__.py:25:
> DeprecationWarning: ScipyTest is now called NumpyTest; please update
> your code
>  test = ScipyTest().test
> RuntimeError: module compiled against version 1000002 of C-API but
> this version of numpy is 1000009
> [/code]

There are two problems:
  - scipy and numpy must be compatible feature-wise (that is a version
S of scipy requires at least a version of N of numpy), that is API
compatibility. If S and N are API compatible, you should be able to
build and use them together. That's what is mentioned in the
INSTALL.txt
  - ABI compatibility, that is if you build scipy against a given
version of numpy N1, will it work with a version N2 without
recompilation; that's what you see in your case. API compatibility is
necessary but not sufficient for ABI compatibility.

For some time, I think we just raise the error you are seeing when the
version did not match exactly. But someone (Stefan) worked in this,
and maybe this won't happen for future versions.

David