[SciPy-user] UMFPACK error

Gideon Simpson grs2103 at columbia.edu
Mon May 12 20:52:59 EDT 2008

Not sure what I've done wrong, but I fed numpy the locations of my
UMFPACK and AMD software, and both numpy 1.0.4 and scipy 0.6.0 seemed
to install properly.  Also their test suites ran as expected.
However, if I do

from scipy import *

I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/opt/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linsolve/__init__.py",
line 5, in <module>
     import umfpack
   File "/opt/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linsolve/umfpack/
__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
     from umfpack import *
   File "/opt/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linsolve/umfpack/
umfpack.py", line 186, in <module>
     UMFPACK_WARNING_determinant_underflow :
'UMFPACK_WARNING_determinant_underflow',
NameError: name 'UMFPACK_WARNING_determinant_underflow' is not defined

-gideon