[SciPy-user] change in matrix behavior

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu May 8 17:46:33 EDT 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Nathan Bell apparently wrote:
> why don't we deprecate numpy.matrix?  Clearly no one here
> uses it and it is a major pain to handle correctly in
> SciPy.

I have a rather different perspective.

I have switched to using Python in teaching.  In my field
(economics), students are often familiar with matrices,
which are extensively used by economists and
econometricians.  The availability of NumPy matrices is
a key reason I am able to switch to Python for these
courses.  I think economics is not unique, and looking
forward, this kind of teaching use of NumPy matrices will
become quite common.

I also personally find NumPy matrices convenient when doing
linear algebra.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

PS I think the current change will render matrices more
usable for two reasons.  First, it is natural that iteration
over a matrix produce 1d object, for reasons you can find in
the NumPy discussion threads.  Second and related, matrices
will be handled correctly by functions that rely on
dimension reducing iterations.  Finally, I expect something
like ``rows`` and ``cols`` attributes to be added, which
will add a natural, explicit, and symmetric iterative access
to these submatrices.