[SciPy-user] Runge-Kutta ODE integrator in SciPy, odepack problems on SciPy Superpack for OSX?

Andrew Charles ac1201 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 22:45:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Zane Selvans <zane at ideotrope.org> wrote:

>  I don't know why they would have both chosen to write their own
>  numerical solutions from scratch if something publicly available would
>  have worked... but I guess it's possible.  A lot of people don't seem to
>  like to build on the work of others.

Well they were building on the work of others, in particular Runge,
and Kutta :-)

Simple integrators like this aren't that difficult to implement (under
100 lines or so), and it is often easier to write code that works
nicely with your model than to wrestle with someone else's interface.

I recently ported an RK4 solver to python - it's designed for generic
n-body ODEs, so it might not be suitable for what you're doing, and
it's written in pure python, so is not especially optimised for speed,
but if you're interested, drop me a line and I can send you a copy of
the code.

Andrew Charles