[SciPy-user] Python Spreadsheet with Python as Core Macro Language

luis cota lo.maximo73 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 22:55:16 EDT 2008

Thanks for the responses - I've used ResolverOne quite a bit and am fond of
its capabilities.  My primary needs are to have a "spreadsheet interface"
that allows me to call functions using "=myfunc(A1, A2)" which are defined
in python code.

Most of my work makes use of standard python libraries, so using ResolverOne
had me rewriting a lot of the same code that I don't want to rewrite
(math/science manipulation stuff).

Also, I'd like to use it as a viewer of intermediate states of data.  eg -
seeing what the data looks like at each step in the overall analytic system.

I've checked out a lot of those tools - picalo looks very cool, though not
quite what im looking for at the moment.

OpenOffice looked so promising, until I began inspecting the PyUNO bridge -
that stuff looks very heavy when compared ti Resolver, which would be
exactly right if I could use C Python libs....

I've also thought about embedding Python into MS Excel through XLW - this
currently seems like a great option, though i'm trying to avoid windows code
altogether.  Hoping someone has some options ....plz!

- Luis