[SciPy-user] "in" vs. looped "=="

R. Padraic Springuel R.Springuel at umit.maine.edu
Wed Mar 12 16:23:08 EDT 2008

I have some code that uses a "1. in x" statement early on, where x is a
rank-1 ndarray with dtype=float.  This statement returns False and the
program continues accordingly.  However, later on in the same code I
loop over the elements of x and the statement "x[i] == 1" is evaluated
and comes back as True for some elements of x.  To my mind, that
shouldn't be happening.  Is there a difference in how "1. in x" (i.e.
the __contains__ method of ndarray) and "x[i] == 1." (i.e. the __eq__
property of float) behave that I'm not aware of?
--

R. Padraic Springuel
Research Assistant