[SciPy-user] [Newbie] High-performance plotting of large datasets

Bryan Cole bryan at cole.uklinux.net
Sat Mar 1 03:09:48 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm an ex-LabView user, now using python for lab data-acquisition and
analysis for some years now. It's well worth the switch.

Your best bet is
http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/

You're right, matplotlib/chaco are too slow for "interactive real-time"
type work. The strengths of these packages are their
presentation-quality output (vector and anti-aliased bitmap graphics).

For data-acquisition applications, I prefer wxPython  to Qt (I may move
to something based on Traits/ETS once I figure out how to install it).
For GUIs I have a home-made plotting widget which is fast enough for
real-time work. Unfortunately, I'm not yet in a position to post it
publicly. If you need *really* high performance, it's not too hard to
write a plot-widget using PyOpenGL directly.

Bryan