[SciPy-user] Mlab doesn't work

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Jun 13 08:57:49 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 02:48:11PM +0200, fred wrote:
> PS: Please don't be offensive with your subject.
> Mlab _does_ work and Gaël is doing a great job on this.

I didn't find the subject offensive at all. I actually think that this
thread shows that we have a real problem, as many people stumble into
this.

First of all we have a communication problem. I have just edited the wiki
page to hopefully improve this. Second, this limitation of mlab is real a
stumbling block for new users. Prabhu and I are fully aware of it, and we
are looking for a solution. It is hard to find a good solution, as the
technical reasons behind this are fundamental. We need to find an
API/trick to present this in a way that doesn't hurt the user's intuition
(ipython -wthread is already much better then starting and stopping the
GUI mainloop manually).

Cheers,

Gaël