[SciPy-user] OS X install success! + Question

Robert Ferrell ferrell at diablotech.com
Wed Jul 30 08:45:46 EDT 2008

I just installed NumPy & SciPy on a new Mac Book Pro (OS X 10.5.2).
Thanks for the great step-by-step instructions at http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X
.

The whole process was flawless until I tried to run the tests and I
found I don't have nose installed.  That leads to an elementary
question about Python and OS X.

Before installing NumPy & SciPy I installed the OS X Python from
python.org.  That's 2.5.2 (laptop shipped with 2.5.1) and was
installed in

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python

which is just a link to

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python.

numpy and scipy installed in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/

So far so good.  But, when I used easy_install for nose, that got
installed into

/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/.

What is the best way to deal with the Frameworks vs no Frameworks
thing?  Should I just put a link from /Library/Python/2.5 to /Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5?

I realize this is a Python + OS X question and has nothing to do with
SciPy per se.  But I've searched the web for an answer with no luck.
It seems like this group is the most likely to provide useful
information.

Thanks, and thanks for the awesome install page.  SciPy has come a
very long way!

-robert