[SciPy-user] prefactor response

Frank Lagor dfranci at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Jul 26 11:46:32 EDT 2008

Hi Lubos,

I don't know a whole lot about transforms however, I do remember one bit of
information that may be useful to you:  The prefactors in the sine transform
(which is of course related to the fourier transform) are actually matters
of convention.  The sqrt(2/pi) is not always the prefactor!  The prefactor
is usually chosen to be sqrt(2/pi) so that the inverse transform will also
have a prefactor of sqrt(2/pi) and there will be some symmetry in the two
formulas so that they look alike and are easier to remember.  However,
SOMETIMES people chose the transform or inverse transform (I can't recall
which) to have a 2/pi prefactor, and the other to have no prefactor.  I
comes down to a matter of convention and it doesn't matter which one you
chose, as long as you are consistent.

Please careful and make sure you a certain of the convention chosen and you
a consistent in what you code and you will be fine.

Hope this helps,
Frank

PS> Dear Everyone, I am trying to get my email mailing list style fixed so
that I don't break mailing list etiquette.   Please email  me personal to
check me if this email sucked.  Sorry for my previous mistakes!

--
Frank Lagor
Ph.D. Candidate