[SciPy-user] spsolve

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 05:05:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Christian Bähnisch
<christian-baehnisch at gmx.de> wrote:
> Thank you for your quick reply! Somehow I believed spsolve is a conjugate
> gradient method ... my fault.

No problem.  Documentation for the sparse solvers is incomplete, so
it's easy to get confused :)

> If I got it right, the conjugate gradient
> method  in scipy.linalg.iterative should benefit from the sparsity of the
> matrices (symmetric and p. semi-definite) I put into it ?

If your matrix is in a sparse format, such as the CSR or CSC formats
in scipy.sparse, then iterative solvers like conjugate gradient will
execute much more quickly.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/