[SciPy-user] SciPy builds and installs but won't import due to f2c

Selwyn-Lloyd McPherson smcphers at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 23 03:07:58 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I've been working on getting SciPy installed on my machine and it
seems almost there. I've got a x86_64 system running Red Hat and more
or less followed http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux#head-1c4018a51422706809ee96a4db03ca0669f5f6d1
  to build and install SciPy. After dealing with the whole fPIC mess
that the 64-bit processor requires the install seems to finish but
when I try to import, I get:

 >>> from scipy import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/__init__.py",
line 8, in ?
     from basic import *
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/basic.py",
line 17, in ?
     from lapack import get_lapack_funcs
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/lapack.py",
line 17, in ?
     from scipy.linalg import flapack
ImportError: /usr/lib/libf2c.so.0: undefined symbol: MAIN__

Apparently a problem with f2c. . . Have any ideas?

Thanks so much for reading!

Selwyn-Lloyd