[SciPy-user] Scipy optimize fmin_l_bfgs_b gives me an obscure error

Isaul Vargas isaulv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 16:31:51 EDT 2008

I am using Scipy 0.6 on windows vista with python 2.5.2 (same thing happens
in my linux setup), and when I use the function fmin_l_bfgs_b, I get this
obscure error:

ValueError: failed to initialize intent(inout) array -- input not fortran
contiguous

This is a part of the traceback within the function fmin_l_bfgs_b:
 197         _lbfgsb.setulb(m, x, low_bnd, upper_bnd, nbd, f, g, factr,
 198                        pgtol, wa, iwa, task, iprint, csave, lsave,
 199                        isave, dsave)

I have looked at the variables involved and they are all 1d arrays, so I
don't see how fortran ordering would apply.

Any ideas on how to fix this?