[SciPy-user] optimization advice needed

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 08:06:53 EST 2008

Let me try to address the questions (to the extent that I know the answers):
I believe f(a,b) is convex.
Why not just iteratively solve for each observation?  2 reasons.  First,
because it is too computationally expensive in this application.  Second,
because each observation is noisy, so you don't want to adapt the model to
optimize just one observation.
I think Gaussian noise is a good model here.

For the first question.  The values of the parameters, which I called (a,b),
but in general we might need more variables, are more-or-less constant over
time, but change very slowly with respect to the observations.  I guess
you're asking if there is a model for how they change over time?  No, only
that they change very slowly.