[SciPy-user] 3D (I'm not talking about rendering)

Bryan Cole bryan at cole.uklinux.net
Thu Jan 17 15:31:53 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 10:54 +0100, José María García Pérez wrote:
> I have started to use TVTK, but just for rendering. How could I ask
> TVTK to tell me groups of nodes which are less than 0.005 far away
> ones from each others?
>
> Could you write the name of a function that can do that task (or a
> similar task)?

VTK (or TVTK) is indeed your friend. If you have 300000 points and you
want to find all occurences where the point spacing is below a certain
threshold you could use the "Gaussian Splatter" filter to find
approximate regions of high point density (see
http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.0/html/a01413.html or maybe the related
Sheppard Method). This would give you a measure of the point density on
a regular grid. You could sample this using your original points and
then filter them based on this point-density function. This would
hopefully reduce your point set to something small enough to do an exact
find-the-nearest-neighbour routine on (needs a N*N matrix, where N is
your number of filterd points). You could use a vtkPointLocator for this
but it's probably easier/faster to just write one with python/numpy.

If you're in no hurry, you could just apply the vtkPointLocator to all
300000 points.