[SciPy-user] Bayes net question

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 14 19:09:10 EST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 2:45 PM, Karl Young <Karl.Young at ucsf.edu> wrote:
> I'm starting to play with Bayes nets in a way that will require a little
> more than just using some of the black box packages around (e.g. I'd
> like to play around with using various regression models at the nodes)
> and would love to do my exploring in the context of SciPy but I didn't
> see any such packages currently available. I did find a python package
> called OpenBayes (http://www.openbayes.org/) that after a very cursory
> examination looked pretty nice but apparently is no longer being
> developed. Does anyone know if there has ever been any discussion with
> the author of that package re. incorporating it into SciPy ?

I am somewhat familiar with the project.  Although after taking a
quick look at it just now, it appears to have a little different
history than I remember.  I thought Elliot Cohen was the original
author, but I guess his project must have been incorporated into to
this project.  Elliot developed a Python Bayesian Network Toolbox as
part of the first Summer of Code in 1995:  http://pbnt.berlios.de/
James Tauber was his mentor.  Elliot was a student at Berkeley and was
actually Matthew Brett's research assistant, so Matthew and I know him
pretty well.  Elliot works for Microsoft now and is also heavily
involved in a personal side-project, so I don't think he has much free
time.

If you think this is worth turning into a scikit, Matthew and I would
be happy to talk to him about whether he would be interested.  If we
can get his interest, I am sure that he would talk to the other
developers.

If anyone else is interested in seeing this happen, please respond.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley