[SciPy-user] read_array problem

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 8 19:01:09 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 2:11 PM, Johann Cohen-Tanugi <cohen at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Beyond the fact that it comes a bit as a surprise that numpy refers to
> loadmat from a distinct package (well, sometimes I wonder how distinct
> scipy and numpy are meant to be.... as a matter of fact
> help(scipy.loadtxt) will work as well and give you the same info), this
> scipy.loadmat does not seem to exist.... Maybe scipy.load was intended?

NumPy provides basic matrix support (plus a little extra for
historical reasons).  We are reorganize the I/O code to better reflect
this.  Basic array reading/writing support is in NumPy (e.g., you just
need to read an array from a text file).  If you want to add support
for reading/writing arrays in any number of other standard formats
(e.g., Matlab, Excel, etc.), then you can use SciPy.

I think that it is helpful for docstrings to refer to useful,
recommended code even if you may need to install additional packages.
For example, some functions in SciPy refer to Scikits.
NumPy/SciPy/Scikits are all in some sense part of the same project.

scipy.loadtxt just calls numpy.loadtxt.  I have updated the docstring
to refer to scipy.io.loadmat.  Thanks for catching the typo.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley