[SciPy-user] scipy install errors

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Feb 20 08:42:34 EST 2008

Alastair Basden wrote:
> Hi David,
> does this apply to the lapack/atlas libraries too?  They're currently
> compiled with gfortran (I did try g77 but it didn't seem to work), which
> is what atlas recommends.

Yes, it applies to everything.

> Is it okay to mix versions of gfortran - ie can I use a newer gfortran for
> scipy, without recompiling the atlas/lapack?

I don't know if it is ok to mix versions of gfortran. Normally, gcc
doesn't break ABI (binary compatibility) between minor versions, so you
could try. Note that you should be able to change the fortran compiler
for ATLAS without recompiling everything (fortran is only used for the
fortran interface, ATLAS itself is pure C).

David