[SciPy-user] Python on Intel Xeon Dual Core Machine

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Feb 8 01:39:48 EST 2008

Nathan Bell wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 12:58 PM, william ratcliff <william.ratcliff at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone played with openmp using ctypes or weave?
>>

> Just FYI I tried some openmp code with gcc 4.2 and found that I
> couldn't load the module dynamically.  Here's a similar report:
> http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.soft-sys.matlab/2008-01/msg00893.html
>
> This was using SWIG, but I think you'd encounter the same problem with
> ctypes or weave.  It's a known bug that should be fixed in a future
> release.

FWIW, I could dynamically load a trivial openmp shared library through
the dlopen machinery, which is what ctypes uses (to be exact, all python
extensions which are not static use it at some point). I tried with
centos 5.0 gcc, and then with one directly built from sources (4.2.1),
both with success.

Which compiler (version of gcc) are you using ? Do you have the code
which fails ?

cheers,

David