[SciPy-user] Need Help: Linear Programming

Hoyt Koepke hoytak at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Dec 22 00:29:14 EST 2008

Hello Aditya,

If all you need is an LP solver, I have had a lot of luck with
lp_solve 5.5 (http://lpsolve.sourceforge.net/5.5/)..  It's a mature
package that I use heavily in my research and it works very, very
well.  It has a python wrapper, which isn't bad and is quite full
featured.  For what I'm doing, though, I've written a (simpler) cython
interface that works directly with numpy arrays and is great to use in
conjunction with numpy/scipy. The documentation is currently rather
sparse, but if you're interested I'll work on that a bit and send it
to you.   Note that it's LGPL, not BSD like numpy/scipy.

-- Hoyt

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Aditya Sethi <ady.se
But my friend assures me that sine SciPy has a lot more complex
Non-linear programming solvers, there must be something for Linear
Programming in there but I am not able to find it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.thi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi SciPy community:
>
> I have recently started using SciPy and NumPy and have absolutely fallen in
> love with the vast libraries. It has made my job much easier using
> Interpolation and Linear Algrebra from the SciPy modules. Hopefully in the
> future, I can contribute to the SciPy community.
>
> I have been stuck in finding a linear programming solver via the Simplex
> method or any other widely used method. I searched further and found OpenOpt
> in SciKits but am reluctant to use this as it is not under the control of
> the SciPy community.
>
> But my friend assures me that sine SciPy has a lot more complex Non-linear
> programming solvers, there must be something for Linear Programming in there
> but I am not able to find it.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your help..
> Aditya Sethi

+ Hoyt Koepke
+ University of Washington Department of Statistics
+ http://www.stat.washington.edu/~hoytak/
+ hoytak at gmail.com