[SciPy-user] Create a spectrogram from a waveform

Ed McCaffrey ed at edmccaffrey.net
Sun Aug 31 14:58:23 EDT 2008

I've found what is creating the solid blue screen.  That code gives a few
NaNs in the list, if I remove them then I get actual output.

However, I think that something is wrong if I am getting NaNs, and the
spectrogram just doesn't look right.  Here is updated code:

from scipy import *
from pylab import *
from wave import *
import struct

wav = open('song.wav')
length = wav.getnframes()

tmp = [struct.unpack('f', wav.readframes(1))[0] for x in range(length)]
data = [x for x in tmp if isnan(x) == False]

spectrogram = specgram(data)
title('Spectrogram')

show();