[SciPy-user] pyqwt or matplotlib

bernardo martins rocha bernardo.rocha at meduni-graz.at
Wed Aug 27 08:04:37 EDT 2008

Pierre Raybaut wrote:

>> Message: 4
>> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:27:59 +0200
>> From: bernardo martins rocha <bernardo.rocha at meduni-graz.at>
>> Subject: [SciPy-user] pyqwt or matplotlib
>> To: scipy-user at scipy.org
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'm starting to write a program with PyQt to visualize some traces
>> from a system of ODEs. I would like to plot one graphic for each
>> variable inside this PyQt application...and I'm wondering which one
>> is the best for it: matplotlib or pyqwt? I will read some files using
>> PyTables and then I'll plot everything and some of these files are
>> very big, so I need something fast and good.
>>
>> I've been using matplotlib for some small programs and it's very
>> nice, powerful and beautiful. I've already embedded some matplotlib
>> plots inside a PyQt application. But I have the impression that pyqwt
>> is faster than matplotlib. Is it true? Is there another library for
>> plotting that would do the job?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Bernardo M. Rocha
> Hi,
>
> That is not an impression: PyQwt is much faster than matplotlib and is
> often used precisely to analyse huge data sets (here is an example:
> http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/images/meq.pdf -- simple plotting, but
> very effective).
> On the other hand, as you may know, matplotlib has *a lot* more
> features, but if you don't need them...
>
> Pierre
Hi Guys,

What I'm trying to do is something like this code:

http://www.krugle.org/examples/p-ytHFYREhpD3udCb8/embedding_in_qt4.py

But...with a lot of plot windows with two graphs in each (comparing
different solutions) and for huge arrays....I'll try to do it initially
with matplotlib, and then, if I figure out that it is too slow then I'll
move to PyQwt.

I had a look at Chaco and it looks really nice, but I don't know if it
is possible to embed it in a PyQt application like the example above. Is
it possible? Are there some examples/tutorials available?

Thanks a lot!
Bernardo M. Rocha