[SciPy-user] pyqwt or matplotlib

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Tue Aug 26 16:59:48 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:54:50PM +0100, Bryan Cole wrote:
> Which is faster depends critically on whether you need antialiased
> drawing or not and also the content of the plots. I've been banchmarking
> the rendering speeds for large polylines, for an in-house plotting
> widget, using a variety of libraries.

Actually, I think the issue can very be not only the speed of a draw,
which is very much based on you rendering engine, as you point out, but
also how clever the library is in case of a redraw to minimize the
operations. The latter is also very important in case of an interactive
application. Chaco does a lot of work to minimize the redraw cost.

Gaël