[SciPy-user] Conditionally adding items to a list

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:15:20 EDT 2008

Roger Herikstad wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I have a prolem that I was wondering if anyone could come up with a
> good solution for. I basically have to lists of number and I want to
> add elements from one list to the other as long as the difference
> between the added element and all elements already in that list
> exceeds a certain threshold.
Can you please explain with an example which 'difference' you want? Do
you mean the minimum, maximum, sum, average etc. of all elements in that
list? Or even that the sum of differences is smaller than a certain
threshold?

Alternative, does the threshold vary as elements are added? You really
need to be careful here because the criterion will change depending on
the order that the elements are added and that not all elements within
the final list meet the criterion used to create it (as well elements
excluded that should have been in the list if the list was sorted
differently).

If it just depends on the first list, then you can use the 'where'
function or boolean indexing to identify and extract the elements such
as t2[numpy.abs(t2>(min(t1)+1000))] which can then be append to the
times1 list (note times1 does not need to be converted to an array
unless you actually need it as an array). I do recommend exploring the
example web page on this as it has very informative examples on what
different approaches actually work.

If it depends on both lists hopefully there is a conditional approach
where you can apply your criterion to one list first and then the other
that does not depend on the order entered:
threshold=min(numpy.min(t1),numpy.min(t2))+1000
t2[numpy.abs(t2>threshold)]

Bruce