[SciPy-user] SOM in scipy.cluster

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 14 19:50:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Matthieu Brucher
<matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> SOM were supposed to be included in scikits.learn, weren't they ? (as
> scipy.cluster is in scipy only for historical reasons)

It depends.  I think Corran's proposal to put a simple and fast batch
SOM algorithm in scipy.cluster.vq and more general variations of the
SOM algorithm in the scikit is a good approach.

In general, it is OK to improve the cluster package in scipy.  For
instance, I think Damian's hierarchical clustering code
(http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/cluster/hierarchy.py)
is a good example of what should go into scipy.cluster.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley