[SciPy-user] installing numpy on ubuntu

Michael Hearne mhearne at usgs.gov
Mon Aug 11 13:47:13 EDT 2008

I'm trying to install numpy/scipy/matplotlib/basemap on a fresh
installation of Ubuntu.

The available versions of each I've found on Ubuntu:
numpy: Version: 1:1.0.4-6ubuntu3
scipy: Version: 0.6.0-8ubuntu1
matplotlib: Version: 0.91.2-0ubuntu1

Basemap (a matplotlib toolkit) does not appear in Ubuntu, it seems.

The problem is that the supported version of Basemap depends on
matplotlib versions 0.98 and greater, and for that I need numpy 1.1.

I have two questions:
1) Is there an apt-get repository for the more recent versions of numpy
(or any of these other packages)
2) Failing 1, should the building of numpy on an Ubuntu system be a
straightforward "configure;make;make install"?  God, I hope so.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Hearne
mhearne at usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.