[SciPy-user] Polynomial interpolation

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 16:36:44 EDT 2008

2008/4/28 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>:

>  Well those certainly aren't useful. The only functions I would
>  consider adding would be "one-shot" functions, e.g.:
>
>   def krogh(xi, yi, x):
>       return KroghInterpolator(xi,yi)(x)

The problem here is that construction of the splines is an order
degree**2 process, so I want an interface that encourages users to
construct them once and for all. I think such an approach also
discourages people from just

y_interp = krogh(all_my_data_x, all_my_data_y, x_interp)

with hundreds of points, the results of which will be meaningless and horrible.

That said, python's regex system does provide such an interface, so I
can do it.Perhaps a long and cumbersome name -
evaluate_krogh_interpolation, maybe. What would be painful would be to
expose the internal workings of the interpolator, as splrep/splev do.

Anne