[SciPy-user] failure to build scipy on RHEL5

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:59:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Michael Hearne <mhearne at usgs.gov> wrote:
> Wasn't sure how far back to go, so here's several more lines' worth:

Here's the important one:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libfblas.a(cgemm.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a
shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libfblas.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

You need to compile BLAS to be relocatable using the -fPIC flag to the
compilation flags. If you are following the directions on that wiki
strictly, replace this line:

  g77 -fno-second-underscore -O2 -c *.f

with this line:

  g77 -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -O2 -c *.f

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco