[SciPy-user] Enthought installation

lorenzo bolla lbolla at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 11:03:42 EDT 2008

Hi all!

I'm trying to install the Enthought distribution on my windows box, with the
following command:
enstaller enthon ets

After having downloaded all the packages, the installation aborts with the
following error:

<snip>
easy_install> Processing enthought.traits-2.0.4.tar.gz
easy_install> Running enthought.traits-2.0.4\setup.py -q bdist_egg
--dist-dir
c:\docume~1\bollal~1\locals~1\temp\easy_install-7dblsa\enthought.traits-2.0.4\egg-dist-tmp-nxxivf
error: Setup script exited with error: Python was built with Visual Studio
2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

Obviously, I do not have Visual Studio, but I do have cygwin with mingw32
compiler.
I tried the simple command: enstaller enthon ets -c mingw32, with no luck.

Any hints?
Lorenzo