[SciPy-user] The IO library and image file formats -- compare with with PIL

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Fri Apr 18 07:42:19 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> On 18/04/2008, Sebastian Haase <haase at msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:
>  >  The reason I'm asking now, is that I just submitted a patch to PIL
>  >  that adds writing capabilities for MultiPage TIFF files.
>  >  I did not get any response on the PIL list,
>
>  If you *do* figure out how to get their attention, please let me know
>  (maybe I should try the route Robert suggested).  Zachary Pincus
>  (IIRC) and myself both have patches we'd like to have applied.  We
>  mailed it to the Image SIG, without any response.
>
>  Regards
>  Stéfan

Ultimately we has to consider a fork of PIL.
Do you guys know, if this is allowed -- per the PIL license !?

Of course this would be super sub optimal,
but then, it's effectively what I have right now -- and you have your
own version .....

To summerize: numpy can probably do many things of PIL already better
-- I'm talking about all the transformation stuff of course.
So only the file IO would have to get forked out  -- to scipy for example ;-)

Cheers
-Sebastian