[SciPy-user] Python(x,y) - New release 1.1.0

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 17 03:46:19 EDT 2008

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> I think everyone has the right to choose whatever license s/he will
> use for its software and not feel bad about it. PERIOD.

I don't think anyone said or implied the contrary. The project was
announced as being open source, while being released under a license
which was not obviously open source; some people felt this was a bit
strange at first, but it just looks like a misunderstanding.

Personally, I think that as a rule, if you *want* to release something
under an open source license, you are better choosing the BSD or the GPL
by default, because they are well known, massively used, and everybody
more or less understand what they imply. Most of the time, the license
is dictated by the project you are contributing to anyway (I personally
much prefer the GPL to BSD, but I guess that now, 95 % of my open source
code is under the BSD :) ).

cheers,

David