[SciPy-user] Python(x,y) - New release 1.1.0

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Apr 17 03:45:37 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:27:31AM +0200, Python(x,y) wrote:
> But I think that it will not be enought to reassure people. The terms
> "Non-profit" seem to be a real problem in people's mind. So, I think I
> will switch to OSL (even if I am convinced that it is not a real issue)
> which has been approved by OSI.

It is a real issue. People in eg comany labs are going to want to use
Python(x,y). They cannot if its under non-profit. The Python scientific
community is not really one that is centered on use of the tools for
hobby.

If you are going to change license, I think it is best you choose a major
and well-known license, eg BSD if you don't want copyleft, or GPL if you
do.

My 2 cents,

Gaël