[SciPy-user] Python(x,y) - New release 1.1.0

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Apr 16 17:55:02 EDT 2008

On 16-Apr-08, at 5:24 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Python(x,y) is restricted to only use for non-profit?
>
> Seems like that according to:
>
> http://pythonxy.com/license.php
>
> Just a couple days ago there used to be an open source license. Well,
> that reduces me interest a lot, as I am not really motivated to
> contribute to a non-opensource solution.

Hmm... I read that license, quite puzzling.

IANAL, but each of the included packages in Python(x,y) have their
own licenses, and most of the major ones are licensed under the BSD
license or something similar, which permit commercial use. I'm not
sure that a license on a software collection can regulate use of its
more liberally licensed components. At the very least it would be
hard to enforce. So, maybe what's restricted is the use of the Python
(x,y) installer by a commercial entity? I really have no idea.

Also, I think there may be some murky water concerning distributing
GPL'd packages under this license (I notice PyQt is distributed under
the GPL).  Again, no law degree here, but it seems like it might be a
problem.

David