[SciPy-user] __eq__ for scipy.sparse not working?

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 15:09:28 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Joseph Turian <turian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason that sparse matrices don't support this functionality?
> What is actually happening when I try equality testing for A == B?
> It seems undesirable that equality comparison is permitted, even though it
> has unexpected behavior.

I agree that __eq__ should either work or raise an exception.  As to
why __eq__ isn't supported, I haven't written the necessary code to
handle arrays with dtype='bool'.

Offhand, I don't know what specifically needs to be changed to make
sparse matrices agree with numpy's handling of boolean arrays.  Many
of the necessary ingredients are already present, but I have not fully
explored this matter.

I created a ticket in Trac for this issue:
http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/639

Unfortunately, time is scarce for me at the moment, so I can't say
when I'll get around to it.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/