[SciPy-user] matlab's regress

Angus McMorland amcmorl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 23:54:03 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I've been in need of the equivalent of matlab's regress function which
performs multilinear regression. After a bit of google searching, I
found this old code from ancient history:

http://osdir.com/ml/python.scientific.user/2004-04/msg00029.html

However, after a quick spruce-up to current scipy and numpy notation
(which I could post here if it's useful) it seems, from a quick test,
to perform as advertised.

Here begin my questions. I have looked through the scipy
documentation, and can't see any other routines that do the same task,
apart, perhaps from the odr module or using routines from the lapack
or blas libraries. These latter options, however, I don't know
anything about, and there aren't readily applicable examples floating
around to base my effort on.

(1) Have I missed some multilinear regression routine directly
implemented in scipy? If yes, how can we improve the documentation so
the next person can find it more easily.

(2) If there isn't an equivalent routine, would it be useful to
include this one? It could perhaps go in scipy.linalg.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Angus.
--
AJC McMorland, PhD candidate