[SciPy-user] conforming to Python GIL...

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Fri Apr 4 11:49:34 EDT 2008

On Fri, April 4, 2008 5:06 pm, Travis E. Oliphant wrote:

> I thought there was something like that.   Apparently, the scipy
> interfaces do not use this statement, correct?

Yes (except lapack wrappers). This was decided some years ago when most of us
had single CPU computers and then the idea was that using
`threadsafe` would add unnecessary overhead. Nowadays,
I guess, all f2py wrappers could have threadsafe enabled.

> Perhaps all code used to
> release the GIL, but then the threadsafe statement was added and now
> none of the scipy-f2py code does.

What do you mean? Currently only lapack wrappers in scipy use threadsafe
and there has been no attempts to use it elsewhere in scipy, awaik.
I don't understand whether you consider it as a bad or good thing.

Regards,
Pearu