[SciPy-user] paths relative to a python package

Zane Selvans zane at ideotrope.org
Tue Apr 1 19:37:31 EDT 2008

I know this isn't scipy specific but...

If you have a data file that's distributed with a python package, how do
you refer to it relative to the location that the package ultimately
gets installed?  Is there a package_root variable or something?

e.g. in my package directory let's say I have:

__init__.py
MyModule.py
datadir

and within datadir:

data1.dat
data2.dat

How do I, within MyModule.py tell the program to open one of the data files?

If I just do open('datadir/data1.dat') it'll try and open that dir/file
relative to wherever the python program that imported MyModule is
running, right?  Which isn't what I want.

Thanks for any insight,
Zane

--
Zane Selvans