[SciPy-user] ANN: Python Equations 2.0 - weaveless version

zunzun at zunzun.com zunzun at zunzun.com
Fri Sep 28 13:37:54 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 01:18:55PM -0400, Steve Lianoglou wrote:

> Just out of curiosity. Have you noticed any significant speed
> differences between the weave/C++ version vs. your new all-python
> version, or were you able to pull of some serious scipy-fu to
> mitigate that?

Interesting point.  Anything that speeds numpy now speeds
the new code, for instance ATLAS compilation targeted to a
specific computer platform.  I mention this as the vanilla
Ubuntu Linux ATLAS was not as fast as the Ubuntu SSE2 ATLAS
on my Acer 9500 development laptop, that was well worth
the 30-40 seconds it took to download and install :)

Tuned numpy appears approximately as fast as my weave code
used to be, especially regarding the genetic algorithm I
use to guess initial coefficients for the nonlinear solver.
I'm quite pleased with it in terms of performance and
*especially* ease of maintenance (Python, blessed Python!).

I only *wish* I knew some serious scipy-fu...

     James