[SciPy-user] www.scipy.org down?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:28:26 EDT 2007

On 9/4/07, eric jones <eric at enthought.com> wrote:

> Having the server down for a short period is undesirable.  Having it
> down for half a day is unacceptable.  On the good side, the SciPy
> servers are apparently getting a whole lot more traffic this year than
> last year.  On the bad side, the server/software hasn't scaled as well
> as one would hope.

And it's only going to get better/worse :)

> Jarrod talked to me about doing some sys admin work on scipy.org while
> we were at the SciPy conference.  We discussed upgrading the OS, getting
> better monitor/re-start mechanisms in place, and, most importantly,
> getting a group of people from multiple different time zones in place to
> help in case of problems.  Jeff Strunk is going to work on getting this
> organized, and he'll post something here soon.  I believe he's going to
> set up a separate distribution to keep sys-admin issues off this list.

Mirroring?  Scipy is becoming important enough to academic
institutions that it might not be  too hard to setup a few mirrors for
at least the static content, that are geographically distributed.  One
or two big universities, one or two national labs and a few
institutions in Europe (CERN perhaps, I know they use python a lot and
they hosted EuroPython)?

We have enough people on this list from academia and research labs
that if it's technically viable (I'm not sure how to deal with
Moin/Trac for that, if at all), it might be possible to get the ball
rolling.

Just an idea...

Cheers,