[SciPy-user] How to free unused memory by Python

massimo sandal massimo.sandal at unibo.it
Mon Sep 3 05:22:36 EDT 2007

Anne Archibald ha scritto:
> If it is memory exhaustion, all this business about "not freeing
> memory back to the OS" is a red herring. No matter how old your
> version of python and how little memory it ever releases back to the
> OS, new objects will be allocated from the memory the python process
> already has. If your process keeps growing indefinitely, that's not
> malloc, that's your code keeping references to more and more data so
> that it cannot be free()d. Perhaps look into tools for debugging
> memory leaks in python?

I'd love to find one. I have memory leaks here and there in my code (no
doubt due to dangling references) but it is often damn hard to debug
them. I asked on comp.lang.python but I found no useful answers. If you
know of a memory debugging tool for python, let us know!

m.

--
Massimo Sandal
University of Bologna