[SciPy-user] Generating random variables in a joint normal distribution?

Parvel Gu parvel.gu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 00:26:04 EDT 2007

Hi,

Thanks a lot.
And I am still puzzled about the input arguments, mean and cov.

So take my current problem for example. I am expecting the random
variable P and S, which follow a joint normal distribution with
(Mu)p=(Mu)s=0.5 (the mean?), and (Sigma)p=(Sigma)s=0.4 (the variance),
and a coefficient ro = 0.8.

According to the function multivariate_normal(mean, cov), only the
matrixes of mean and cov are provided as input. Mapping to my problem,
the mean could be [0.5, 0.5]. and the cov matrix is supposed to be
[
cov(p,p), cov(p,s)
cov(s,p), cov(s,s)
]

Is it indicated that we have to get each cov(p, s) with some formula like
ro = cov(p, s) / (sqrt(Dp) * sqrt(Ds)) = 0.8
then fill the result into the cov matrix?

Regards,
Parvel