[SciPy-user] Thin plates for a 3D deformation field

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Sat Oct 27 19:01:57 EDT 2007

Hello Matthieu,

I don't know of any fast multipole solver or anything fancy like that
for dealing with evaluating the splines rapidly, but for simple
purposes, the rbf module in scipy.sandbox should do just fine.

Set the function to 'thin-plate', and you will get a thin-plate
spline interpolator that can interpolate values of arbitrary
dimension in spaces of arbitrary dimension. So it should naturally be
able to interpolate a 3D deformation field in three dimensions, or
any other combination you might want.

I haven't used the RBF module exclusively (I wrote my own thin-plate
spline interpolator before it existed -- it's a very small amount of
code), but I think that that module should be just right. One note:
this sort of interpolation can be very slow if you're going to be
interpolating the deformations over a fine grid -- for, say, using
the deformation field for image warping. This is where one might
start wanting a fast multipole solver. I find that in most cases, I
can get away with interpolating the deformations on a relatively
coarse grid, and then using linear interpolation to fill in the gaps.
(The resizing methods in ndimage come in useful here -- just scale up
the x, y, and z components of the deformation separately.)

Zach Pincus