[SciPy-user] Python mode in emacs 22 (Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon)

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 15:31:26 EDT 2007

So, I freely admit that this belongs on some other list, but the Emacs
list people are often mean to me.  Maybe because I think python is
better than lisp and I shouldn't have to learn lisp.....

But I am having a problem with python-mode after upgrading to Ubuntu
7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (as predicted).  I tried purging python-mode as
recommended using

dpkg --purge python-mode

but it doesn't seem to have worked.  Here is the result of "locate
*pythonmode.el":

ryan at am2:~$ locate *python*mode.el
/mnt/RYANFAT/downloads/emacs/python-mode-1.0/doctest-mode.el
/mnt/RYANFAT/downloads/emacs/python-mode-1.0/python-mode.el
/mnt/RYANFAT/downloads/emacs/Emacs/lisp/python-mode.el

None of those are on my emacs path.

Here is my error message after trying to open a python file from the
command line using

emacs myfile.py

"An error has occurred while loading `/home/ryan/.emacs.elc':

File error: Cannot open load file, python-mode

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
"python-mode")
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p."

I believe I have commented out all python-mode commands in my .emacs
file.  It is attached.

Can anyone help me get python-mode working again?  Or do I have to
post to the emacs list?

Thanks,

Ryan