[SciPy-user] unstructured mesh handling with scipy?

WolfgangZ wollez at gmx.net
Fri Oct 19 07:07:16 EDT 2007

Hi,

I need to handle unstructured grids (2D), but I'm not sure how to do
that. The source is list of coordinates and I also have the connectivity
(which nodes form a triangle). In the next step I need to extract a
rectangular part of that mesh, this means that elements that are cut
through needs to be triangulated. Using such meshes for visualisation
would be also nice (read in a list of values and create a image).

Has anybody done something similar with python/scipy and could give me
some advice? I'm also open for "external" tools to perform that task.

I've already tried to do that with vtk (python bindings), it works
already partially (I can display the extracted mesh but somehow the
coordinates are transformed to another coordinate system and I have no
clue how to get that back to my input coordinate system).

Any suggestions are welcome.
Regards
Wolfgang